Optometry Giving Sight is a global fundraising initiative that specifically targets the prevention of blindness and impaired vision due to uncorrected refractive error – simply the need for an eye exam and a pair of glasses. More than 600 million people around the world are blind or vision impaired because they do not have access to the eye examination and glasses they need. Optometrists, opticians, their staff and patients, optical companies and their staff support Optometry Giving Sight by making donations and raising funds in their practices and work places. The World Sight Day Challenge is the largest annual global fundraising campaign to address avoidable blindness.
Last year iSight Optometry participated (along with 16 other Vision Source clinics across Canada) in the World Sight Day Challenge in 2014. World Sight Day (WSD) is an annual day of awareness to focus global attention on blindness and vision impairment. It is coordinated by the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness under the VISION 2020 Global Initiative. It is supported by eye health organizations around the world – including Optometry Giving Sight – and is included on the official World Health Organization (WHO) calendar.
There was a record number of participating offices, altogether over $10,000 was raised for the Challenge from Vision Source offices across Canada! iSight Optometry is proud to say we were the top Vision Source office in 2014 for this challenge after raising over $2700 in donations! Our doctors generously donated a day of eye exam fees and also invited donations from patients, staff, and friends.
Here are the results from across the country:
Top 10 Vision Source offices:
- iSight Optometry, Kelowna BC
- Office of Dr. Schell, Barrie ON
- Complete Family Eyecare, Toronto ON
- Waterdown Optometric Clinic, Waterdown ON
- Dr. Jo-Anne Monteiro & Associates, Burlington ON
- Dr. S. Rahman Optometry, Aylmer ON
- The Eye Studio, Red Deer AB
- Old South Optometry, London ON
- Innisfil Eye Care, Innisfil ON
- Dr. Rayman, Richmond Hill ON
Top 10 of All Canadian Offices:
- Optical Image, Swift Current SK
- Queensway Optometric Centre, Mississauga ON
- Dr. Thomas P. Wilk Prof Corp, Cochrane AB
- View Eye Care, Toronto ON (tied for third)
- Valley Vision Optometry, Port Alberni BC
- Victoria Vision Eye Care, Victoria BC
- Focal Point Comprehensive Vision Care, Morden MB
- Total Focus Optometry, Edmonton AB
- Red Deer Eye Care Centre, Red Deer AB
- FYidoctors – Surrey, Surrey BC
We would like to thank all our patients, staff, and friends who donated to this worthwhile and important cause!
The total amount raised from Vision Source practices throughout the 2014 year (including the World Sight Day Challenge) was $13,694.86! Overall in Canada, over $268,000 was raised for the Challenge (up 17% from last year) in support of sustainable primary vision care in the developing world.